Saturday, March 11, 2017

Back in the Saddle Again!

So it has been a CRAY CRAY ride since 11/2/15 which was my last post. Yes. I did say cray cray. Yes, I will never say it again....I promise.

I will end up recapping the last runDisney race I ran (The Dark Side Half Marathon 2016) this weekend hopefully, however there have been so so many things that have happened since November of 2015... I will find the right time and place to express them. I guess it's the one thing that I want to make sure I'm okay with sharing before I put it out on the information superhighway that is the internet. 

I wish I thought this much before sending a boob pick to that guy. Ugh. I guess we all make mistakes, right? Shit, I mean, when your girls look good you shouldn't be ashamed.



So after I hopped off the Hot Mess Express that I was in charge of conducting... fast forward to November 2016, a year after my last post and I am officially an Atlantian. It's been an interesting transition from Northern life to the Southern way things are done. Florida should not be considered Southern in my opinion, it's too neutral. It's like your best friend thats bisexual, equal opportunity for all, understanding and always down for a shot of tequila and a day at the beach. 

Georgia is nothing like that. 

I would be lying if I said I didn't love it here though. The company I work for is hands down the best I ever have been a part of. I am so lucky to have gotten out to Park and Rec AND YMCA life. I know after putting that out here I can probably never go back into either of those worlds, but that's okay. One is too political and they know it and the other just hides the fact that they are. But back to the ATL, Most of the people I work with are amazing and absolute gems in my life, ya know, ya can't win 'em all. I feel very much at home here, not like it did in Orlando but SO much more than I did in Connecticut.


Sorry, I'm getting off track. Back to why I'm posting....

Yesterday marks 20 days of going to the gym consecutively. It's a HUGE accomplishment for me. I've kinda, okay....always, made excuses about why I couldn't make it, why I didn't have time. But I changed that mindset recently.

This week in particular could have been what broke me but I didn't let it. 


Monday was leg day, my favorite day of the week! I was at the end of my workout, doing squats with a 20lb curl bar...child's play really. And I was on the first set of reps, maybe at 5 out of 12 and felt a tear in my left quad. I tried doing a half squat and felt even more of a pull. I freaked out and limped over to the rack to put the curl bar away. I immediately left the gym and went home. I could not even fathom how I had hurt myself when I'd been so committed! I hobbled into the showered and KT Taped up once out. Every time I had to pee or went to sit on the couch I had immense pain. I took some anti-inflammatory meds and just took it easy the rest of the night.

I didn't want to stop all of my progress and I ended up going back to the gym Tuesday evening and maybe did 2 miles tops, nice and easy on the treadmill. Wednesday I felt so much better being taped up and did a 5k in 44minutes and some change. Thursday I felt amazing and did 4 miles in 49minutes and some change. I couldn't believe that I was getting myself back to where I had been years ago.

Yesterday was the cherry on top.

I typically have conversations on the treadmill during my warm up, no more than 5 minutes usually. I was completely set on the fact that the gym closed at 19:00 and I got carried away at work and didn't leave until 17:45. I knew I would have an hour most at the rate I was going. I quickly changed, took Zeus the Moose out to pee, fed him dinner, back in the crate and got to the gym by 18:15. 



The first 2 miles were...ugh! There is little to say other than that, my calves were cramping, my ankles and heels hurt, the instep of my foot was tight and in pain. I slowed my pace and stretched a little. I was at about a 15 minute mile for miles 0-1 and 1-2 and then all of a sudden...



Andy Grammer "Back Home" came on. The video above played in my mind as I picked up my 5.0/3.5mph pace (1 min run/1 min walk tempo) changed to a consistent 6.1mph run for the last 1.1 miles. I have never had this reaction to a song on my playlist before. I had chills all over my body down to my feet. I had to choke back tears while running a 10mm pace and let me tell you....that is a tough thing to accomplish. I have never needed a power song more than this. I believe this was the best negative split I've ever done whether in training or at a race. From 15:00mm to 10:00mm. I. Will. Take. It.


I feel like I am back for real. And even better than the last time I remember.


I have missed you all so much and cannot wait to enjoy my second chance!


No comments:

Post a Comment