Sunday, March 3, 2013

Welcome to the Jambo House! (Wednesday)

This is one of the best views to wake up to..
.

After sleeping in the best bed known to Walt Disney World at the Swan and Dolphin I met my parents for breakfast at Picabu. We drove over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge to check in and get situated. Our room was ready as soon as we checked in, I love good timing. 


It is a little dark in the great room of the lodge but the attention to detail is amazing.


This is probably my favorite piece of wall decor, it's in the Marketplace on the wall behind one of the registers. I love it so much.


 The view from our room was amazing! I saw giraffes and zebras all throughout the days.







I love the touches they added to the room like the elephant and zebra above the little kitchen area and the towel mouse by the sink. We were in a room in the Jambo House that was a 'converted' villa to use Disney terms. In real terms it means the worlds tiniest room. It was way, way, way to small to be a villa. I was incredibly disappointed with the size and space and oh my lord the pull out couch. That being said, I am a Boardwalk Villas gal so I am used to something more spacious and comfortable.


We rarely go to the Animal Kingdom when we are in Disney because it is so far away from where we typically are so we took advantage of being so close to it this time.



 

It was so much fun to walk around and snack and drink and shop. We ate at Flame Tree BBQ because I felt like I would pass out if I didn't get food in my stomach. I got their BBQ pulled pork sandwich. It was very tasty and exactly what I needed. I unfortunately didn't take a picture of it to show you how much pork was on it because I ate it so fast. We visited Asia and Africa, my two favorite parts of AK. I could do without Dinoland USA, but that's just me personally


If you are in the mood for a margarita with a kick and not a total knock-out punch grab one of these beauties. So refreshing.






My parents and I had a blast. We made friends with the bartender at the Dawa Bar where I had the African Margarita. It wasn't one of my favorites but I feel like it was because of the orange/tangerine liquor but it was good company. Also found out the Safari Amber is actually bottled by Budweiser specially for Disney. The AK and AKL are the only places you can buy it. We went back to the hotel and I got more veggie cups and was ready for a nap. My parents decided to go to the pool. After their pool dip and my nap we all got ready for dinner. 



Sanaa is located in Kidani Village at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Although there is a shuttle that runs between Jambo and Kidani we chose to walk, I recommend it if it isn't too late at night. It was about half a mile and was perfect. It would help me with my Friday morning run I would soon discover. This was one of our firsts, eating at Sanaa. I was less than thrilled with my entree but I am obsessed with the appetizer.







I loved the decor of the restaurant; it wasn't too loud or dark. The appetizer we chose was:

Indian Style Bread Service


Choice of 5 breads and 5 accompaniments
Serves Two $9.99
Breads - Naan, Garlic Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kulcha, Papadum
Accompaniments - Red Chile Sambal, Cucumber Raita, Coriander Chutney, Mango Chutney, Coconut Chutney, Garlic Pickle, Spicy Jalapeno-lime pickle, Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus, Tamarind Chutney
(Credit to All Ears.net for the menu.)
We didn't know we would get all 5 breads which was a nice surprise. I even found Naan bread in my local Stop and Shop when I got home. I didn't realize I'd end up loving it...well...who am I kidding it's bread... I love any kind of bread. We ended up choosing Red Chile Sambal (spicy, hot but delicious), Coriander Chutney (my mothers favorite), Mango Chutney (my favorite and new project), Spicy Jalapeno-Lime Pickle (underwhelming) and Tamarind Chutney (a nice surprise). I know we will definitely put this as a reservation next time but maybe for drinks and apps only. Their Malawi Mango Margarita was good, I really am not a fan of frozen drinks I prefer on the rocks but it was mango-y enough to enjoy it regardless.

After dinner we grabbed the shuttle back to the Jambo House. To our bus driver, thank you for humming the words to "Love me" by lil wayne/drake/future. It made my evening. You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment